Using energy conserving appliances.
There's been a lot of talk lately on the effect that humans have on the state of the earth's environment. According to a number of studies, the appliances that we use and the energy that we use are having a negative effect on the atmosphere and the quality of the environment. Many governments, scientists, and activists have been pushing consumers to use appliances that are designed to conserve energy. Here's the background on energy conserving appliances, how you can conserve energy by using them, and whether or not they are a good idea for you and your family to invest in them.
Here are just a few facts that you should know:
1. 38% of the average household's energy use is devoted to heating the house.
2. When you are in the house, don't turn the thermostat up to 72 degrees. If you want to be efficient and conserve energy, set your thermostat from 65 to 68 degrees.
3. Don't install central air unless you need the entire house to be air conditioned, if you live in Arizona or New Mexico or somewhere else that becomes dangerously hot.
There are two major reasons for you to use energy conserving appliances. 1. They help protect and preserve the environment. 2. They help you save money by using more efficient appliances that don't waste energy that you have to pay for. There are a number of different ways that you can conserve energy from turning your water off to ensuring that you have well-done superinsulation in your home. However, we will focus particularly on how to use energy conserving appliances to help you save energy.
1. When appliances become outdated or need to be replaced, replace them with energy efficient appliances. Most of these appliances will say energystar on them, or be marked as energy efficient in some other way. Also compare the predicted energy use on each appliance that you are considering buying. The predicted energy use and the predicted cost per year should be marked on the appliance in black and yellow.
2. Keep your refrigerator set at 37 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The freezer section should be kept at 5 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have a stand alone freezer, maintain its temperature at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. When you purchase a refrigerator, buy one that has automatic moisture control.
4. If you're just cooking a small meal, cook it with your toaster oven or with your microwave oven.
5. If you happen to have a gas stove, make sure that the flame on your stove or other cooking appliance is blue instead of yellow. Blue is the hottest flame, and so you'll be able to cook faster and save energy.
6. Replace that gas stove with an electric stove. While a number of cooks say that they prefer to use a gas stove, gas stoves are incredibly expensive and waste a lot of energy and money. Electric stoves can help you conserve energy.
7. Don't run your dishwasher until it's full of dishes. This will save on water and heating costs. Also, instead of heat drying your dishes, air dry them. This will save you money on your heating and can help conserve energy.
8. When you're done using your computer, turn it off. Keeping your computers on means that electricity is being used constantly.
9. Clean the lint filter on your dryer after or before every load of laundry that you do. A blocked lint filter means that your dryer will be using more energy to dry your clothes, leading to a higher price.
10. Turn off your lights whenever you leave the room. Also use task lighting so that you don't' have to light an entire room when you're in it. Another good idea is to use fluorescent lamps in the fixtures that you use a lot.
Here are some good places where you can purchase energy conserving appliances. Of course, you can also just go to your local appliance retailer and they should have at least some selection of energy conserving appliances.
AFFORDABLE SOLAR Energy Efficient Appliances and Solar Products at Wholesale Prices
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY STORE Discount Retailer of Energy Efficient Appliances and Solar Products
AMERICAN AIR & WATER Ultraviolet Irradiation of the Coils Keeps the HVAC System in Like-New Condition, Reduces Energy Consumption
CADE PC Environmentally Responsible Company Offering Energy Efficient Computers and Instant, Online Support for Most Computer Problems
CONSERVASTORE Solar, Water, and Electrical Saving Products Will Save You Money
FULL SPECTRUM SOLUTIONS Discover Energy Efficient Full Spectrum Lighting Including Replacement Bulbs, Lamps and Commercial Fixtures
EARTHPRINT Environmental and Sustainable Development Publications from UNEP and Key International Organizations
ENERGY MATTERS Australian Suppliers of Renewable Equipment. Free Online Tools for Determining Your Renewable Energy Requirements.
GOGREENGIFT GoGreenGift Includes CFLs and a Low-Flow Showerhead to Aid in Home Energy Conservation
GOOD SHEPHERD WOOL INSULATION Sheep Wool Insulation Batts for Frame and Timberframe Homes, or in Rope for Log Homes
NIGHTSTAR FLASHLIGHT Never Needs Battery (Magnet) or Bulb (LED), Human-Powered
PLANET EARTH HOME Ultimate Energy Independence in aEnergy Sustainable Home Design Using Solar and Wind Energy
POSITIVE ENERGY CONSERVATION PRODUCTS Hard to Find EnergySaving Products Economically Priced
R.E. WILLIAMS CONTRACTOR INC. Cut Summer Cooling Bills Tremendously, Look at Our Line of Whole House Fans